In determining the environmental impact of our products enabled by metathesis reactions, Materia takes a comprehensive approach of the production and life cycle of our product including its impact throughout our customers’ manufacturing supply chains, from concept to shipping.
Olefin metathesis reactions via Grubbs Catalyst® technology offer the most efficient and fastest way to produce molecules and higher quality polymers. In businesses that rely on hydrocarbons, the savings lead to a variety of efficiencies across the entire manufacturing supply chain and newer advanced materials requiring less energy to produce and power. Naturally, this leads to significant cost savings, while still greatly improving the overall performance of the products themselves.
- Manufacturing Efficiency. Metathesis reactions produce new molecules in fewer processing steps compared with other catalytic processes. Because of this, it takes far less energy to break and regenerate carbon bonds and can be done in less time. Many companies have been able to develop the same types of products with much lower carbon footprints using Materia technology.
- Resource Efficiency. Many of our catalysts exhibit high reactivity and require less low catalyst loadings to efficiently operate. Manufacturing operations see significant improvements in resource usage, less waste and byproducts, and fewer disruptions in the production of new molecules.
- Lower Capital Investments. Because of the inherent processing advantages enabled by our ruthenium catalysts, products made using our catalysts are extremely flexible with most existing fabrication methodologies without loss to product performance, allowing for rapid scalability with minimal capital expenditures.
- Extraordinary Versatility. Catalysts initiate 90% of chemical reactions. Compared to other catalysts, ruthenium metathesis catalysts can be broadly applied to an enormous variety of companies in various industries enabling more companies to develop innovative products with greater efficiency and performance.
- Safety and Stability. Another unique feature of our catalyst technology is the superior stability of the catalysts themselves allowing for much safer handling and storage of our products. Beyond their stability to air and water, stored in a cool place or inert atmosphere, our catalysts can last many years.
- Next-Generation Performance. Our advanced polymer platforms, enabled by our ruthenium metathesis catalysts, in many cases, significantly outperform competing materials. Because of the efficiency and power of our catalyst technology, our polydicyclopentadiene (pDCPD) resins have extraordinary formulation flexibility, are fast to manufacture, and exhibit the strengths of thermosets, thermoplastics, and fluoropolymers with very few of their weaknesses. Our polymers are oftentimes lighter in weight than most competing materials, leading to far less usage of natural resources for manufacturers and end consumers, in addition to having much longer life cycles making our polymers efficient environmentally and financially.
Our Chemistry is Solving Global Issues Facing Society
We believe that science is the way to solve society’ global challenges facing society and Materia engineers sustainable solutions to address everything from alternative fuels and energy, to efficiencies in natural resource consumption, to treatments and cures for diseases.
Few chemical companies innovate like Materia. Innovation is more than a word; it’s in our DNA. We approach sustainable solutions by imagining how we can replace the everyday products we use and the manufacturing processes that create those products with better performing, more economical, and more environmentally friendly products. We develop the revolutionary technology that will one day supplant the everyday, from advanced polymers to replace epoxies, polyester resins, and vinyl esters to superior ruthenium metathesis catalysts to more efficiently transform petrochemicals and pharmaceuticals.
- Renewable Chemicals and Fuels. Ruthenium metathesis catalysts have been used to convert natural oil feedstocks, such as soybean and palm oils, into fuels and specialty chemicals. With the prevalence of olefins in natural to biological matter, metathesis reactions redefine the market for renewable chemicals and alternative fuels leading to a more sustainable resource for fuels and in for the chemicals we use as part of everyday life.
- Advanced Polymers. Though there are many ways to polymerize molecules together, the ring opening metathesis polymerization (ROMP) process is an ideal method when using Grubbs Catalyst products due to their superior functional group tolerance and stability. With the wider tolerance of different functional groups present in the molecules, we support the broadest range of monomers and performance-tuned additives, creating more advanced polymer chains with much lower carbon footprints than most other polymeric materials on the market today.