The Proxima® thermosets are a groundbreaking advanced polymer system based on dicyclopentadiene (DCPD), specially formulated to address high performance applications unmatched by many of today’s competing materials technologies. Our thermosets are designed to be a near drop-in replacement for traditional resins, such as epoxy, vinyl ester, and polyester resins, adaptable to industry-standard manufacturing processes.
Proxima thermosets derive their unique characteristics through a polymerization reaction enabled by Materia’s proprietary Grubbs Catalyst® technology. Enabled by the versatility of our metathesis catalyst portfolio, we can design and develop a wide range of performance polymers with optimal processing and superior properties.
Superior Performance for Next-Generation Materials
At Materia, we develop our own proprietary blends of monomers and functional additives that are polymerized by our Grubbs Catalyst products through a process known as ring-opening metathesis polymerization (ROMP), which creates unique high-performance polymers with the structural integrity of a thermoset and the toughness of a thermoplastic.
Proxima thermosets are designed to deliver the performance characteristics that companies need to solve advanced materials challenges.
- Excellent Toughness. High-speed impact resistance and crack propagation resistance enable longer lasting parts with more predictable life cycles.
- Lightweight. Density is “similar to water” and 10-15% lighter than comparable thermoset resins.
- Excellent Hot/Wet Properties. Extremely low water absorption of polyolefins combined with the thermal stability of thermosets.
- Low Carbon Footprint. Cradle-to-gate emissions 47% lower than standard epoxy resins.
- Low Viscosity Resins. Viscosity is also “similar to water”, enabling quicker molding of complex shapes, high filler loadings, and lower void content.
Compatibility with Standard Processing Techniques
Proxima resins are two-part liquid thermosetting systems specially designed to have a low viscosity for fast and easy mold fill or infusion. As a result, Proxima resins can be processed by most standard thermoset processing techniques and are one of the few advanced polymers able to deliver performance properties with effortless integration into today’s manufacturing processes.
Flexible Property Range
The Proxima resin platform enables a range of formulations, from rigid structural polymers to flexible soft materials, and anything in between.
- Corrosion resistance
- Abrasion resistance
- High impact strength
- High use temperatures
- Tough and strong
- Crack resistant
- Damage tolerant
- Corrosion resistant
- Hot/wet stability at temperatures exceeding 350°F
- Low thermal conductivity
- High elongation
- Sprayable and castable
- Low density
- High compressive strength
- Low water absorption
- Large defect-free castings
- Low viscosity
By leveraging our catalysis and materials science expertise, a range of off-the-shelf Proxima thermoset resins have been developed and are ideal for a variety of complex performance problems and manufacturing processes. Materia’s design and engineering team can develop and manufacture custom variations of our Proxima thermosetting systems to match our customers’ exact specifications.