Recently Formed Renewable Chemicals Company Elevance Spearheads Line-up at Greentech 2008
Entretech, the leading non-profit association supporting high-technology companies in Greater Los Angeles with critical and practical business development resources...
PASADENA, CA––(Marketwire – May, 14, 2008) – Entretech (www.entretech.org), the leading non-profit association supporting high-technology companies in Greater Los Angeles with critical and practical business development resources and connections, announced today that Elevance Renewable Sciences Inc., will lead a stellar lineup of presenters at the 2nd annual GreenTech 2008. The program will feature companies with advanced clean technologies in the areas of solar power, wind energy, hydropower, biofuels from cellulosic sources, nuclear power, new materials from renewable sources, and fuel cells.
Elevance was created through collaboration between Materia, a green chemicals company, and Cargill Ventures, after receiving a $1.8 MM matching grant from the U.S. Department of Energy in 2004. Elevance recently secured more than $40 million in venture capital led by investments from TPG STAR, L.P. and TPG Biotechnology Partners II, L.P. The new company expects to generate over $1 billion in sales by 2016.
Elevance will harness the potential of natural oils combined with Materia’s Nobel Prize winning metathesis technology to aggressively grow in the $500 billion specialty chemicals market.
In addition to Elevance, GreenTech will showcase some of the most exciting innovations emerging from Caltech, UCLA, and several innovative companies that have technologies with breakthrough potential over the next 3-5 years. The single-track, one-day program will be divided into energy production, renewable fuels and new products and materials. It will also include a Venture Capital panel which will highlight investment opportunities in the rapidly progressing green technology sector.
Other program highlights include presentations from:
• Paul Glenney, Director, Clean Energy Technology Center, AeroVironment, Inc. (www.avinc.com), an innovative developer of Unmanned Aircraft Systems and Efficient Electric Energy Technologies. Glenney will discuss market opportunities and barriers for on-site renewable energy generation
• David Dreessen, Partner of Battery Ventures (www.battery.com), a technology investment firm that has raised nearly $3 billion since its inception in 1983. Dreessen, who specializes in clean technology investing, will offer his forecast on this sector.
• Dr. Phillip Finck, Associate Laboratory Director for Nuclear Science & Technology at the DOE-funded Idaho National Laboratory, will discuss the resurgence of interest in nuclear power as a source of energy and new technologies destined to make it safer and cleaner.
Additional GreenTech participants:
• Los Angeles Department of Water & Power – on their ambitious target of 20% renewables by 2010 and its continued plans for wind power
• Studio RMA – a full service design studio, offering sustainable Architectural, Interior, Landscape and Engineering concepts
• AquaNano Technologies – a Caltech company commercializing a new water filtration/separation technology for delivering low cost water purification to underdeveloped parts of the world
• NanoH20 – uses UCLA nanotechnology discoveries to create advanced membrane materials for the desalination and water reuse industries
• Solarmer Energy – develops flexible translucent plastic solar cells which generate low-cost clean energy from the sun
Entretech is co-hosting the event with Materia, Inc., a Caltech spin-off, with support from partners, the California Institute of Technology (Caltech), USC, UCLA and Nixon Peabody LLP.
For more on GreenTech 2008, including speaker background, program information, sponsorship opportunities and registration details, please visit www.GreenTech2008.com, or contact Stephanie Yanchinski, Executive Director of Entretech, at 626-356-9933 or firstname.lastname@example.org
About Entretech (www.entretech.org)
Entretech is the leading non-profit association supporting high tech companies in Greater Los Angeles with critical and practical business development resources and connections. Our mission is to grow the technology cluster in the L.A. region, and support such growth in Southern California as a whole. Entretech empowers entrepreneurs to build new businesses through capital, education, people, and strategic partners. Through a dedicated relationship with the California Institute of Technology, UCLA and USC, Entretech provides opportunities to new technology companies forming tomorrow’s high tech industry.
Stephanie C. Yanchinski
Executive Director, Entretech