Materials Engineer (Materials R&D)
JOB PURPOSE: The Materials Engineer assists in product development by (1) the evaluation of polymer / composite materials and (2) supporting customers in processing recommendations for new Materia liquid thermoset products, especially in composites applications. The role communicates technical recommendations to the members of the R&D, Application development, and Tech Service teams under the direction of more senior level employees.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist in the development, characterization, and optimization of new and existing materials by providing guidance on industry-standards (ASTM, ISO methods) and implementing new product characterization methods; and documenting procedures
- Conduct or coordinate testing of thermoset resins and cured materials using complex instruments, such as DSC, rheometry, DMA, TGA, and Universal Testing Machines
- Interpret and translate test data and observations into useful information based on sound engineering / materials science principles for internal and external customers
- Provide product and process/manufacturing recommendations related to the adoption of Materia liquid thermoset technology into new customer applications with a focus on pultrusion, filament winding, vacuum infusion, and hard-tool RTM
- Apply basic troubleshooting skills to daily tasks and prioritize and optimize workflow to achieve efficiency
- Complete all assignments in a safe manner and methodical manner. Maintain accurate recordkeeping, housekeeping, and maintenance of instruments, lab supplies, and work areas
Qualifications and Experience:
BS degree in material science, mechanical engineering, or similar technical field
- 2 years of industrial experience in polymer applications and fiber-reinforced composite laminates
- Strong understanding and interest in processing and testing of polymer and polymer-matrix composite materials
- Strong background in hands-on laboratory/technical work with liquid thermosets.
- Experience developing, testing, and/or analyzing materials, processes, and parts
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
Some lifting, stooping, pushing, pulling, sitting, standing, and additional activities may be assigned to meet the business needs.