Materia is always interested in meeting outstanding individuals who share our entrepreneurial spirit, our passion for innovation and our commitment to real-world change.
Please check the following job listing of our current needs. To apply for one of the open positions, please email your resume and salary history to email@example.com or fax to +1.626.584.4271.
No phone calls, please.
Process Research Chemist
JOB PURPOSE: The Process Research Chemist is responsible for the design, scale-up, and optimization of the company’s chemical manufacturing processes. The role focuses on identifying and scaling new and existing processes; establishing in-process controls to ensure derived products are of high quality and manufactured in a reproducible manner; identifying efficiency, profitability, and safety improvements related to the processing plants that produce the company’s products.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Process Research Chemist works independently yet draws from Production, R&D, and Engineering resources to devise scaled chemical processes and associated equipment configurations to provide consistent and efficient output levels:
Devise new and refine existing chemical manufacturing processes:
- Identify, prioritize, and evaluate key scaling parameters;
- Define process mode, i.e. batch vs. continuous, and operating windows;
- Plan, conduct, and supervise focused scale-up trials in laboratories, pilot plants, or factories as appropriate;
- Champion process transfer to scaled commercial operations;
- Implement process controls and develop “in-process” test methods with the Quality Group to ensure compliance with finished product specifications;
- Ensure potential and relevant safety issues and activities related to the project operator, the environment, the process, and the product are considered:
- Process Hazard Analyses;
- Acute thermodynamic data;
- Monitor scaled chemical processes and reduce process costs:
- Compile and analyze relevant historical batch data and outcomes;
- Debottleneck to improve quality, efficiency, throughput, and/or capacity;
- Investigate, deconvolute, and resolve commercial scale process issues;
- Evaluate alternative materials, methods, process parameters, or equipment;
- Validate improved processes and quantify magnitude of improvement;
- Develop mass balances, paper processes, and mass flow diagrams to support process transfers, regulatory compliance, and costing activities;
- Skilled at analytical methods such as GC, GC/MS, NMR, IR, UV, DSC, and TGA;
- Read and write technical reports, literature, and presentations and maintain records;
- Initiate and document ideas based on reading, work activities, and networking;
- Conduct other assigned duties as necessary.
- Independent chemical process scale-up experience.
- Experimental design, statistical analysis, or simulation software skills a plus.
- Continuous and/or heterogeneous process experience desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully:
- Balance multiple projects both independently and in cross-disciplinary teams;
- Manage reports on assigned projects.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE:
- Ph.D. in Synthetic Organic, Physical Organic, or a related field.
- 3-5 years of independent project scaling and implementation management experience.
- Excellent oral and good written communication and time management skills.
- Develop skills/knowledge through reading, courses, or technical meeting attendance.
- Must exercise safe and good laboratory practices at all times.